Saturday 5 May 2018

2 Poems by Sarita Jenamani

IMAGES OF DEPARTURE AND ENCOUNTER

I feel committed to distance
and satiate my wanderlust
by accompanying nomadic shadows
through the maze of streets
howled by images,
images that I have enshrined tenderly
somewhere deep within,
images that I have left behind
without bidding goodbye,
images which I breath everyday
as sharp as your indifference,
that cut my vein ruthlessly
the taste of blood sticks to my tongue
and an unspoken word
slips from my lips
to the edge of infinity


MOTHER TONGUE

It runs
like a mystic river
through my arteries

Voice of my mother,
the primordial voice,
holds my nascent being

As I flow away
keeping intact
its fragile frame
into the ocean of light


Bionote 

Sarita Jenamani was born in Cuttack, Orissa. She studied Economics and Management Studies in India and Austria. She writes in English, Hindi as well as in Oriya, her mother tongue. She is the author of three books of poetry.  Her poems are translated into German, Rumanian, Urdu and Russian. She has been published in a number of anthologies and literary journal including the prestigious PEN international. She received many writers fellowship in Germany as well as in Austria including ‘’Kunstlerdorf Schöppingen’’and Heinrich Böll foundation. She is a member of Austrian PEN. Presently she is living and working in Vienna. She is the co-editor of the bilingual magazine Words and Worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment